|
|
|
 |
 |
 |
|
Undergraduate Colleges /
University of Tennessee, Chattanooga |
|
|
 |
|
 
|
|
 |
|
Table of Contents |
|
 |
|
|
|
|
|
About the Campus |
|
 |
|
UTC is best known for its Engineering, Nursing, History, Chemistry and Education departments. The Lupton Memorial Library,
located at the center of the campus, houses 1.9 million items, including microfilm, microfiche, bound periodicals and over
600,000 circulating items. Prospective resident students can choose from five different dormitory complexes, each with different room configurations to choose from.UTC is served by CARTA bus routes 4, 10, 14, 19,
and 28. Route 14 only operates on weekdays during fall and spring terms, when the University is session. The route runs within
and without the UTC campus on McCallie,
Houston, Vine, Douglas, Fifth, and Palmetto Streets. A recent extension serves Third, O'Neal and Central Streets, as well as
Baroness Erlanger
Hospital, and a large parking lot at Engel
Stadium. All students showing valid University identification cards (aka MocsCards) ride for free on all CARTA routes,
year-round. Student Residences
- Vine Street Dorms. Constructed in the late 1930s, this dorm occupied part of North
Stadium Hall, which actually formed the grandstands for the old Chamberlain Field football stadium. Age and structural integrity
concerns prompted the closure of the facility in the early 2000s. The entire building is
now in disuse and awaiting demolition. The current UTC football team plays and
Max Finley Stadium,
located in downtown Chattanooga.
- Pfeiffer-Stagmaier Hall. This L-Shaped building was constructed in two phases. The first part (Pfeiffer Hall) was completed
in 1947 and named for Annie Merner Pfeiffer, a generous benefactor. In 1968, a wing was added on to Pfeiffer Hall and was known as Stagmaier Hall, which was named for Linda Stagmaier, the
wife of a University official. Collectively the two attatched buildings were officially called "Pfeiffer-Stagmaier Hall". To
students, however, the complex was known as "P-Stag" or "the Stag." In this complex, students were housed by pairs in rooms with
a bedroom and a study room. In Stagmaier Hall, two rooms shared a bathroom, while the Pfeiffer section had two students to a room
with community bath. Both sections featured a full community kitchen. The complex was co-ed by floor, with males on the ground
and first floors, and females on the second and third floors. In the early 2000s concerns
began to mount about the age and suitability of the dormityory complex. Increasing dissatisfaction over maintenance concerns
earned the complex several dubious nicknames: "The Ghetto," "The Dump," and "The Dungeon." Furthermore, the University
administration was unable to bring the buildings up to new state safety standards, neither was UTC able to satisfy new
requirements called for by the Americans
with Disabilities Act. As of June, 2004, Pfeiffer
Hall is home to temporary offices for the Department of Housing.
- Boling Apartments. Named for Dr. Edward J. Boiling, former UT System president and
completed in 1977. Each apartment houses two to four students in private bedrooms with a
shared bathroom, kitchen and living room. The complex was called Village Apartments until the early 1990s.
- Lockmiller Dormitories. A series of unusually shaped apartment buildings completed in 1982, this dormitory was named for Dr. David A. Lockmiller, former president of the University of Chattanooga. The complex is co-ed by section, and most units house four students in two bedrooms, with a living room,
bathroom, and kitchen. Dr. Lockmiller was an unusual choice for University President, as he was a Roman Catholic and the University was operated under the auspices of the Methodist Episcopal
church.
- New Village Apartments
- UTC Place
Academic Buildings
- University Hall - "Old Main." Demolished in 1917
- Hooper-Race Hall - Records, Admissions and Financial Aid.
- Grote Hall (pronounced "GRO-tee")
- Cadek Hall (pronounced "shaddek")
- Guerry Hall - Houses the University Honors Department and Reading Rooms. The lower level is occupied by a cafeteria.
- Founder's Hall - Chancellor's offices
- Fletcher Hall
- Brock Hall
- Holt Hall
- MacKenzie Arena
- McClellan Gym and Natatorium
- Metropolitain Hall or simply "Metro" - Nursing and Economics Departments. Formerly Chattanooga Metropolitain Hospital
- President's House - Development (fundraising) Departnebt
- Patten House
- Dorothy Patten Fine Arts
Center - Houses the Dorothy Hackett Ward theatre, the Roland W.
Hayes Concert Hall, and the George Ayers Cress Art Gallery.
- Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science Buidling
- Old Math Building - Demolished in the late 1990s.
- Bretske Hall - Formerly the university cafeteria, now home to the Geology Department.
- Lupton Memorial Library
- Challenger Center
- Administration Building - Houses the mailroom, parking services, motor pool and University Police Department.
- University Center - The hub social life on campus. There are several eateries and a large cafeteria
Other Locations On Campus
- Cardiac Hill
- The Greenway (expected completion, 2005)
Greek Life
Sororities: Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Kappa Alpha, Chi Omega, Delta Sigma
Theta, Kappa Delta, Kappa Delta, Sigma Alpha Iota, Sigma Gamma Rho, Sigma Kappa, Zeta Phi Beta, Omega Phi Alpha (service organization for women). Fraternities: Alpha
Phi Alpha, Kappa Alpha
Psi, Kappa Sigma, Lambda Chi Alpha, Phi Beta Sigma, Phi Delta Theta, Phi Mu Alpha, Pi Kappa Alpha, Sigma Chi,
Tau Kappa Epsilon. |
|
 |
|
<< Previous Article | Next Article >> |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
 |
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|
|
Interesting Fact |
 |
|
 |
Founded in 1851, Cooper Union was the first college to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race or religion in its charter. |
|
|
 |
Did you know... |
 |
|
 |
You can upload a Personal Image or graphic to depict yourself in the MyPlan.com community. |
|
|
|
|
 |
|
|