After several years as a local school focusing on the classical education, the school was officially renamed New Paltz Academy
in 1833. In 1886, the academy became a normal school supported by the state. It was granted the ability to award
baccalaureate degrees in 1942, when
it was renamed the State Teachers College at New Paltz. A few years later, in 1947, a
graduate program was established. When the State University of New York was established by
legislative act in 1948, the Teachers College at New Paltz was one of 30 colleges
associated under SUNY's umbrella.