Pepperdine University was established in 1937, by George Pepperdine. For thirty years, Pepperdine College was a small
undergraduate school located in south-central Los Angeles. It gained
university status in 1971 when a school of law was added and the business and education departments became separate schools. In
1972, through the generosity of Frank Roger Seaver, Pepperdine opened a new 830 acre (3.4 km²) campus in the Malibu area. In
1975, the undergraduate program was named Seaver College in honor of the Seavers. In 1996 a massive brushfire threatened the
campus with destruction, but firefighters succeeded in protecting almost all structures.