History and Academics
is an independent undergraduate university located
in Bloomington, Illinois. IWU was founded in 1850 by 30 civic and Methodist Church leaders with the goal of establishing "an Institution of learning of Collegiate grade".
The central portion of the present campus was acquired in 1854, with the first building constructed in the same year. The
University taught solely preparatory classes from 1850 until 1919; college classes started the following year.IWU is categorized by the Carnegie Commission as one of America's 162 liberal arts colleges.
Illinois Wesleyan University participates in the NCAA's Divison III and in the College
Conference of Illinois & Wisconsin (CCIW); major programs include basketball, football, and baseball. The IWU basketball team
has two recent CCIW championships in the 2002-3 and 2003-4 seasons.
Bachelor's Degree programs in three Colleges:
- College of Liberal Arts (17 departments and 7 interdisciplinary programs, organized in 1906)
- College of Fine Arts (schools of art, music, and theater arts organized in 1929, 1946, 1947 respectively)
- School of Nursing (established in 1959)
- U.S. Senator Scott Lucas of Illinois
- Governor H. Clarence Baldridge of
- Governor Lester Hunt of Wyoming
- 7 Time NBA All-Star Jack
- While it is true that Adlai Stevenson did not graduate from
Illinois Wesleyan University, he did attend the University briefly