Founded in 1837, DePauw University
in Greencastle, Indiana, is a selective private liberal arts college with a 2002 enrollment of 2,339. The school
has a Methodist heritage. The school was originally known as Indiana Asbury
, after Francis Asbury, the first American bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church. It first admitted women in 1867. Indiana Asbury College changed its name to DePauw University in the 1870's, after Washington C. DePauw donated a very generous $600,000 to the University. The DePauw family took a
further interest in the school by helping to establish the college's School of Music in 1884. It remains one of the
oldest Schools of Music in the nation. DePauw University is also a member of the Great Lakes Colleges Association.