The campus was founded as a private school in 1899, but was bought by industrial family,
the Ball Brothers and donated to the state of Indiana in 1918 to serve as a public school of higher education.
Historic Campus Names
- Muncie Normal School (1899)
- Indiana State Normal School, Eastern Division (1918)
- Ball State Teachers College (1927)
- Ball State University (1965)