Alumni with Nobel Prizes
- Edward Doisy, B.S. 1914, M.S.
1916 - Nobel laureate (Physiology or Medicine, 1943)
- Vincent Du Vigneaud, B.S. 1923, M.S. 1924 - Nobel
laureate (Chemistry, 1955), faculty member of UIUC
- Robert W. Holley, B.A. 1942 - Nobel laureate (Physiology or
- Jack Kilby, B.S. 1947 - Nobel laureate (Physics, 2000). Inventor of the
- Edwin G. Krebs, B.A. 1940 - Nobel laureate (Physiology or Medicine,
- Polykarp Kusch, M.S. 1933, Ph.D. 1936 - Nobel laureate (Physics,
- John Schrieffer, M.S.
1954, PhD 1957 - Nobel laureate (Physics, 1972), faculty member of UIUC
- Phillip Sharp, Ph.D. 1969 -
Nobel laureate (Chemistry, 1993)
- Wendell Stanely, M.S.
1927, PhD. 1929 - Nobel laureate (Chemistry 1946)
- Rosalyn Yalow, M.S. 1942, Ph.D. 1945 - Nobel laureate (Physiology or
Alumni with Pulitzer Prizes
- Barry Bearak, M.S. 1974 - awarded the 2002 Pulitzer Prize (International Reporting)
- Michael Colgrass, B.A.
1956 - awarded the 1978 Pulitzer Prize ( Music )
- George Crumb, M.A. 1952 - awarded
the 1968 Pulitzer Prize ( Music
- David Herbert Donald, M.A. 1942, Ph.D. 1946 - awarded the 1961
Pulitzer Prize(Biography), 1988
- Roger Ebert, B.S. 1964 - movie
critic, awarded the 1975 Pulitzer
- Roy J. Harris, B.A. 1925 - awarded the 1950 Pulitzer Prize (Public Service)
- Hugh F. Hough, B.S. 1951 - awarded the 1974 Pulitzer Prize (Local General Spot News Reporting)
- Paul Ingrassia, B.S.
1972 - awarded the 1993 Pulitzer Prize (Beat Reporting)
- Monroe Karmin, B.S. 1950 - awarded the 1967 Pulitzer Prize (National Reporting)
- Allan Nevins, B.A. 1912, M.A.
1913 - awarded the 1933 Pulitzer Prize (Biography), 1937 Pulitzer Prize (Biography)
- James Reston, B.S. 1932 - awarded
the 1945 Pulitzer Prize (National
Reporting), 1957 Pulitzer Prize (National Reporting)
- Robert Lewis Taylor, B.A. 1933 - awarded the 1959 Pulitzer Prize (Fiction)
- George Thiem, B.S. 1921 - awarded the 1950 Pulitzer Prize (Public Service)
- Carl Van Doren, B.A. 1907 -
awarded the 1939 Pulitzer Prize
- Mark Van Doren, B.A. 1914 -
awarded the 1940 Pulitzer Prize
- Abe Zaidan, B.S. 1953 - awarded the 1971 Pulitzer Prize (Local Reporting)
Technology and Innovation
- Donald Bitzer & H. Gene Slottow, 2003 Emmy Award in Technical Achievement for the invention of the plasma display.
- Marc Andreessen, B.S. 1993,
co-creator of the Mosaic web browser, and later co-founder of Netscape
- Ed Boon, B.S. 1986, creator of Mortal Kombat video game
- Steve Dorner, B.S. 1983 creator
of Eudora (email software)
- Lawrence Ellison, founder of Oracle Corporation (dropped out)
- Michael Hart, B.A. 1973, founder
of Project Gutenberg
- Max Levchin, B.S. 1997, founder of
- Bob Miner, B.A. (mathematics)
1963, co-founder of Oracle
- Ray Ozzie, B.S. 1979, creator of
- Jerry Sanders, B.S. 1958,
co-founder and former CEO of Advanced Micro Devices
- Tom Siebel, B.A. 1975, M.B.A. 1983, M.S. 1985, founder of Siebel Systems
- Jack Welch, M.S. and Ph.D. 1960,
former CEO of General Electric
- Sohaib Abbasi, B.S. and M.S.
1980, President and CEO of Informatica
- Charles W. Woodworth, BS 1885, MS 1886, founder of the Division of Entomology, University of California,
Berkeley. The PBESA gives the annual C.W. Woodworth Award.
- Alfred Y. Cho, B.S. 1960, M.S. 1961, Ph.D.
1968 - father of Molecular beam epitaxy. He also received the National Medal of Science in 1993
- Donald Johanson, B.S. 1966,
Literature, Media, and Entertainment
- Dave Eggers, writer
- Hugh Hefner, B.A. 1949, founder of
- Robert Johnson, founder of BET
- Ang Lee, movie director
- Roger Ebert, film critic
- Andy Richter, actor/comedian
- Iris Chang, B.A. 1989, author of
The Rape of Nanking
- John Anderson, congressman and 1980 presidential candidate
- Ronald Cohn, co-founder of The Gorilla
Foundation, researcher and cameraman who helped document Koko,
the mountain gorilla
- Atef Ebeid, former prime minister of Egypt
- Jesse Jackson, civil rights activist
- Donald Johanson, anthropologist
- Annette Lu, vice-president of the Republic of China
- Francine Patterson, co-founder of The Gorilla
Foundation, researcher who taught a modified version of American Sign Language to a mountain gorilla named
- Fidel Ramos, former president of the Philippines
- Scott Altman, B.S. 1981 - NASA
- Lee J.
Archambault, B.S. 1982, M.S. 1984 - NASA astronaut
- Dale A. Gardner, B.S. 1970 - NASA astronaut
- David H.
Matthiesen, B.S. 1980, M.S. 1982 - NASA astronaut
- Steven R. Nagel, B.S. 1969 - NASA astronaut
- Joseph R. Tanner, B.S. 1973 - NASA astronaut