In 1784, the land now occupied by Stevens Institute of Technology was purchased by John Stevens, who would later invent the steam locomotive. His son, Edwin A. Stevens, died in 1868, leaving a bequest in his will as an
endowment for the establishment of an institution of learning. In 1870, Stevens Institute of Technology opened. Since opening,
Stevens Institute has been more of an engineering college and focuses on engineering careers. By 1907, an Honor System was in
place. From 1870-1971, no women were allowed to enroll in Stevens, but in 1971, women were finally allowed to go to the college.
In 1982, a personal computer requirement was put in place, and around this time, an "intranet" was installed throughout the
campus. The current president of Stevens Institute of Technology is Harold J. Raveché.