John Carroll University was founded as St. Ignatius College in 1886. It has been in continuous operation as a degree-granting
institution since that time.In 1923 the College was renamed John Carroll University, after the first archbishop of the Catholic Church in the United
States. In 1935 it was moved from its original location on the West Side of Cleveland to its present site in University Heights,
a suburb 10 miles east of downtown Cleveland.In September 1968 the University made the transition from full-time male enrollment to a fully coeducational institution as
women were admitted to the College of Arts and Sciences for the first time.In recent years, the University has undergone extensive reconstruction and expansion. In 2003, the University opened the
265,000 ft² (25,000 m²) Dolan Science Center, named after alumnus Charles Dolan, founder of Cablevision. The Dolan Science center
is widely considered one of the premiere science facilities in the Midwest.