The university has three campuses: The main campus in Foggy Bottom, the
Mount Vernon campus in northern Washington, DC, and the Virginia campus.
The university also owns land and buildings around the Foggy Bottom campus that are not used for academic purposes; these include
the mall at 2000 Pennsylvania Ave, and the land under the International Monetary Fund building.
Foggy Bottom Campus
This is the main campus, occupying 43 acres (170,000 m²) and over one hundred
buildings on fourteen city blocks, plus portions of other blocks.The major and notable buildings are:
- Libraries: Melvin Gelman Library, Jacob Burns Law Library and Paul Himmelfarb Health Sciences Library
- Medical: The George
Washington University Hospital serves the university and the entire region. This is typically where presidents in need of urgent medical help are taken, as was President Ronald Reagan after a failed assassination attempt in 1981. The current hospital is across the street from the lot of the old hospital, which was torn down in
- 814 20th St, formerly the Union Methodist Episcopal Church, cornerstone laid 1854,
making it the oldest building in the university.
- The Academic Center, a complex of three buildings, Phillips Hall, Rome Hall and Smith Hall of Art, and home to the computer
- Corcoran Hall, built in 1924 as the first building built for GWU on the Foggy Bottom
campus, is the birthplace of the bazooka. This is the center of the sciences at
- 1957 E St., completed in 2003 as the new home to the Elliott School of International Affairs, as well as lecture halls and
dormitory rooms. GW Alum Gen. Colin Powell visited GW to officially open
- Tompkins Hall, home of the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS).
- Media & Public Affairs Building, which houses the Luther W. Brady Art Gallery and the Jack Morton Auditorium, where
- Cloyd Heck Marvin Center, the central building of the university and home to the food court (J Street - there is no J St in
Washington, so the name was open), the Cafritz Conference Center and the Dorothy Betts Marvin Theatre. It also houses The
Hippodrome, an area for students to relax and have fun, including the only public bowling alley in Washington, DC on the fifth
floor. (The only other alley is in the White House)
- Lisner Auditorium, the main auditorium of the university and home to the Dimock Gallery of art. When built it was the largest
in the city.
- Athletic: The centerpiece is the Charles E. Smith Center, home of the Colonials and a fully equipped athletics center which
occupies nearly an entire city block. There are also four tennis courts nearby, and the Lerner Health and Wellness Center.
- Other Holdings: GWU also owns a large portion of the area, either just the land or the buildings as well. Among these are the
mall at 2000 Pennsylvania Ave, an office block at 2100 Pennsylvania Ave with many student-oriented services, and The George
Washington University Inn.
- Residences: There are 23 residence halls on the Foggy Bottom campus, not including Townhouses or the Halls at the Mount
Vernon Campus, capable of housing over 6000 students.
Mount Vernon Campus
This wooded campus is located on 23 acres (93,000 m²) in northwest Washington, DC, and was purchased by GWU in 1999.
It was exclusively a woman's college, but since the acquisition it is now co-ed, though it still has a large emphasis on women's
academics and athletics. The Eckles Memorial Library serves this campus, and there are NCAA
Division 1 fields for women's softball, women's and men's soccer, and women's and men's lacrosse. There are six residence
halls on this campus.
Located in Loudoun County, Virginia, this
campus consists of a single large building sitting in a 90 acre (360,000 m²) plot, and is mostly used for graduate