The College was founded as the State Normal School in Fitchburg in 1894 by the state legislature. Initially a secondary educational
school for women (coeducation arrived in 1911), the Normal School was not authorized to
grant Bachelor degrees until 1930. In 1932, that
authorization was extended to all academic disciplines within Education. At the same time, the name was changed to State Teachers
College at Fitchburg. Education was the primary focus of the College until 1960, when it changed its name to State College at
Fitchburg and added degrees programs outside of Education. In 1965, the College's name
evolved into its present form, Fitchburg State College.Continuing Education at FSC began in 1915, with the first summer courses offered through
the College. Twenty years later, FSC established its first graduate programs.