Established in 1949, CSULB, then known as Los Angeles-Orange County State College, consisted of 25 courses taught by 13 faculty members in two apartment buildings on
Anaheim Road. In 1962, LBSC changed its name California State College at Long Beach
desiring to unify the state system and enhance its prestige.The school acquired university status in 1972 along with 12 other state college campuses. The promotion was decided by the Board of Trustees of the California
State University system, according to total enrollment, size of graduate programs, complexity and diversity of majors and number
of doctorates held by instructors at each college. CSCLB became California State University, Long Beach (CSULB).