- Wes Anderson, filmmaker
- Steve Barton, actor
- Paul Begala, Crossfire co-host and former Clinton advisor
- Lloyd Bentsen, U.S. Senator and Secretary of the Treasury during the
- Berkeley Breathed, cartoonist, creator of Bloom County
- William F.
Buckley, Sr., Oilman and father of conservative William F. Buckley, Jr.
- Jenna Bush, daughter of President George W.
- Earl Campbell, NFL Hall-of-Fame Running Back
- Douglas J. Cardinal, architect
- Liz Carpenter, press
secretary for Lady Bird Johnson
- Roger Clemens, Professional baseball player
- J.M. Coetzee, Nobel Laureate for Literature
- Walter Cronkite, WWII war correspondent and CBS news anchor
- Michael Dell began Dell Computers from his dorm room at UT Austin. He was so successful that he dropped out at the age of 19
and as of 2004 has an estimated net worth of $13.0 billion (US).
- Priest Holmes, NFL Running Back
- Kay Bailey Hutchison, current U.S. Senator from
- Lady Bird Johnson, First Lady
- Richard Linklater, filmmaker
- Alan Lomax, a musicologist and folklorist. Son of John Avery Lomax.
- John Avery Lomax, a pioneering musicologist and folklorist
- Tim McCanlies,
- Matthew McConaughey, actor
- Bill Moyers, author, journalist, and press secretary for Lyndon Johnson
- Robert Rodriguez, Mexican American filmmaker
- Bruce Sterling, noted science fiction author
- Eli Wallach, famed method actor, the 'Ugly' from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
- Ricky Williams, Heisman Trophy Winner and NFL Running Back
- Owen Wilson, actor
- Ralph Yarborough, U.S. Senator from Texas (1957-1971)
- Renée Zellweger, actress