The State University of New York at Potsdam
, soemtimes known as SUNY Potsdam
, originated in St. Lawrence
in 1816 and became Potsdam Normal School
in 1868. In 1948 it became part of the State University of New York as the New York State Teachers College at Potsdam
The college had a traditional focus on music education, but now offer many program majors in the Crane School of Music, the
School of Arts and Sciences, and the School of Education and Professional Studies.The college is located in the Village of
Potsdam in St. Lawrence County.