Bryn Mawr's library holdings are housed in the Mariam Coffin Canaday Library (opened in 1970), the Rhys Carpenter Library
(opened in 1997), and the Lois and Reginald Collier Science Library (opened in 1993). TRIPOD, the online library catalog,
automatically accesses holdings at Haverford and Swarthmore Colleges.The majority of Bryn Mawr students live on campus in residence halls. Many of the older residence halls are known for their
Collegiate Gothic architecture -- modeled after Oxford University -- and are named after counties in Wales: Brecon, Denbigh (1891), Merion (1885), and Radnor (1887). The
exceptions are Pembroke East and West (1892), named for the House of Pembroke and its importance to Shakespeare. Rhoads (North and South) was named after the College's first president, James E. Rhoads,
while Rockefeller was named after its donor, John D.
Rockefeller. The newest residence halls are Erdman (opened 1965, designed by architect Louis Kahn) and the Haffner Language and Culture House (opened 1971). In addition, students may choose to live
in Glenmede (primarily graduate student housing), Perry House (the Black Cultural Center) or Batten House